If we were having coffee, I would wish you a great start to 2019. I have high hopes for this year, and I hope you do too. I hope you could enjoy some time off this holiday. I have been enjoying spending some relaxing time with family.
With a new year comes a new session, and I have been very busy preparing for it. I have filed a number of bills so far:
- HB 60, promoting infant safe sleep by prohibiting the sale of crib bumper pads;
- HB 61, allowing blind employees to qualify for workers’ compensation;
- HB 62, changing the laws related to school reporting to law enforcement;
- HB 63, requiring homeowners to file a certificate of value before selling property;
- HB 64, abolishing the death penalty.
I plan to file a bill establishing a Maternal Mortality Review Board. Congress recently passed a law encouraging states to create such a board to look at why women are dying at such high rates from pregnancy and childbirth. The high rates in Missouri really are alarming. The Director of Health and Human Services is making maternal mortality a priority this year with a number of initiatives to improve pregnancy outcomes; this is a bipartisan effort.
I have been elected the Policy Chair for the House Democratic Caucus for this term. With this, I will be working to ensure that we file and work for bills related to the Democratic Party Platform which was adopted by the Missouri Democratic Party last year.
The committee structure has not yet been released, I will update you on my committee assignments at a later date.
I hope you have a wonderful New Year!
Have a great week!